Sunday, May 3, 2009

Marrow

Food confession:  I eat chicken frequently and usually it is skinless, boneless, mostly healthy, etc. However, I have been know to go on "food binges" during which I become obsessed with eating the same kind of food every day regardless of how terrible it is for me.  A prime example is fried chicken.  It doesn't even need to be that good, and I will go crazy about it.  College roommates no doubt recall with a certain amount of unpleasant queasiness my penanche for fried chicken legs and the manner in which I consumed them.  I eat as much of the entire thing as possible.  This includes all skin, gristle (which is sort of an onomatopoeia if you think about it), bone nubs and marrow.  

AM shakes his head over this and has learned that he might as well offer me his leftover bits, because I will descend on them anyway, in the kitchen as I "do the dishes."  I know that some day I will probably die from bone shards cutting up my gastrointestinal track (such a fun name for a section of the body, btw), slowly bleeding out internally, but it will be worth it.  Bone marrow is a flavor you just can't find in any other food.  I wonder if I nom on bones with such glee due to a freakish vitamin deficiency....  Nah, I will opt to believe that I just have a sort of Cro-Magnon streak in me that just won't quit.  Sexy.  

So, it can safely be said that this afternoon involved some aggressive bone chomping and greasy fingers.  Besides my internet assertions, proof can also be found on the pages of the cheesy murder mystery I read this weekend about a forensic paleontologist.  It is titled SKELETON DANCE.  I am not kidding.  

No comments: